There's no denying that wine cellars are a sought after amenity in luxury homes. Now more than ever, wine cellars are a feature in the main living space of the home. However, the 55-60 degree temps ideal for storing and aging wine make extended periods of time inside the cellar downright chilly. You and your guests will not want to sit and enjoy a glass - or a bottle - at these temperatures. So, how does one relax with friends over a bottle of wine while still enjoying the ambience of the cellar?
Enter, The Wine Lounge
Wine lounges are growing in popularity as a residential concept. They are a combination of wine storage and entertaining space, and are the perfect solution for many wine enthusiasts. The concept brings together the best of both worlds:
• Climate-controlled wine storage to preserve and protect your collection
• A comfy place to lounge while savoring your newest favorite bottle
As an example, above is a photo of a wine lounge that incorporates both.
The area behind the wall of frameless glass doors is climate-controlled for wine storage. It has insulation and vapor barrier behind the walls, floor and ceiling that are rated specifically for wine storage. Inside is a wine refrigeration system set at 55 degrees and the space maintains 50 to 70 percent relative humidity. This is the optimal climate for storing and aging red wine.
The lounge includes two under counter wine refrigerators that store whites and champagne at approximately 45 degrees so they are ready to drink at a moments’ notice.
The rest of the lounge features shelving for wine trip mementos, wood wine crates from the owner's favorite wineries, multiple pouring stations, glassware storage and a couple of seating vignettes. Since the wine is stored in the partitioned enclosure or the wine refrigerators, these areas are the same ambient temperature as the rest of the home.
Multiple Ways to Lounge
The lounge concept is now being drawn into more and more custom home floor plans. But you don’t need a dedicated room to bring this concept to life. Here are some options for converting space in your existing home into a dreamy wine lounge:
• As formal dining rooms continue to become a thing of the past, consider partitioning one wall for climate-controlled wine storage and trading in your dining table for conversation seating.
• Game rooms or bonus rooms are also central to in-home entertainment and they often have square footage to spare. A 2-foot-deep space along any wall can be separated and climate-controlled for wine storage.
• Spare bedrooms can often be underutilized space. Tucked away from the main living area of the home they make a great option for a speakeasy style wine lounge - an unexpected and "invitation only" hang out for you and only your nearest and dearest.
• Basements are known for having multiple uses in any home - storage being at the top of the list. So why not cordon off a space for wine storage? Add a cozy seating vignette, invite the neighbors over and you’re lounging like a pro.
No matter which path you take, be sure to follow sound construction principles in the design and installation of your wine lounge.
Vineyard Wine Cellars is the leading provider of wine cellars for enthusiasts seeking inspired solutions for the preservation and enjoyment of their collection. We source state-of-the-art products and materials in wine cellar cooling, construction, finishes, lighting, and racks to provide wine storage solutions for all applications and to suit any design style. Contact Vineyard Wine Cellars today by clicking here or calling 866-973-1100.